I’ve always wanted toe socks, and now I finally have a pattern for them, woot! I’ve already knitted 5 toes, I’m amazed by myself.
When I see my toes lined up like that, they seem to be very long. And in Dutch, that means you’re easily offended… Oh well, they’ll fit. And if not, I can turn them into kids gloves, haha 🙂
Time for a new doodle-turned-to-fluff. This is what my husband drew up a while ago:
I got started on it last weekend, and up till now, I have created a body and legs.
Now I am wondering about what technique best to use for Mr McThingey’s face. Should I just embroider it on? Will it look nicer if I get some felt and glue and stick something on? Is it better to use buttons? All ideas to help me out on this one are welcome!
I’ve noticed that my sewing projects have gone a bit quiet. I could sum up a number of reasons for this, of course. That it takes up a lot more space than knitting, that my sewing machine is upstairs, where it is cold, that I can’t lay out any fabrics on the table downstairs or the cats start playing hide and seek whenever some fabric is draped over the edge… I could sum up loads of excuses, but I won’t.
The fact is, I’m working on two projects. One is a summer blouse that I am working on in class. The other is a winter skirt that is my very own design. Nothing too complicated, but I just don’t seem to get on with it. And I should, since spring is already in the air…
So far, I have drawn out a pattern, cut out the calico/muslin parts and sewn them all together. I also fitted this rough version, but apparently it’s too wide. I really should alter the size and get on with it now…
Just to prove my point, here’s a little preview.
I wasted no time and started working on the caterpillar right away. Now that it’s still freezing and while it’s still very windy out there. The pattern is fairly easy I must say, and I’m getting on very well. Here’s a little something to picture my version:
I managed to create a radioactive symbol for the snail! It took me some time, trying to get going with the shell stitch. Until I finally realized that I was making it too complicated. All I needed were single stitches and half double stitches. It now looks like this:
I know that there are still some bulges at the edges, but that’s because there is a slight difference in wool: the yellow wool I used was slightly thicker than the brown one. If you use the same wool type for both colours (which is, of course, always advisable), it should work out fine.
Now I want to draw up a graphic pattern for this sign. I guess that will be my next challenge…
The snail has been getting on well. As I mentioned before, the body was quite easy to do, since it was just a tube. I was tempted for a while to turn it into a Mister Hankey, but in the end, I wisely decided against it.
The shell was something I needed to put some more thought in. I didn’t exactly know what form to give it, since I wanted it to be flatter at the bottom and fuller at the top. I decided to base it on the Phildar monkey‘s head. You can always alter the form of a piece by the way you stuff it, so I guessed I would get there eventually.
The eyes were quite simple. In a basic crochet book, I found how to crochet buttons, and in white, these buttons will do a great job pretending to be eyes.
All that’s left now, is the radioactive sign. I’m trying to do rounds now and use shell stitches to get the triangular forms right, but I’m still figuring out how many stitches I need to start with. Up till now, I have been unravelling just as much as I have been crocheting. But – as Jerry Maguire’s great mentor used to say – Success is standing up one more time than you fall. Time to stand up again, I’d say…