And yes, it’s true. Only a quarter of the thing has been painted, and it’s covered in knee dents. But let’s just call that authenticity. And see it as a tip: Don’t sit on your cardboard while drawing the tree.
What do you need?
- 2 large sheets of cardboard (105 cm / 42 in high, and 80 cm / 32 in wide)
- 1 geometry triangle
- 1 long ruler
- 1 pair of scissors and/or 1 cutter knife
- 1 cutting board
- a couple of gold spray paint cans
How to make that tree
- Starting at the bottom corners, use your geometry triangle to measure a 30° angle, then draw a line measuring 20 cm (8 in).
- From your new point, measure a downward angle of 25° and draw a line measuring 10 cm (4 in).
- From your new point, draw a line that’s parallel with the 30° angle from step 1. The line measures 20 cm (8 in).
- Teken vanuit het nieuwe punt een lijn naar boven die evenwijdig loopt met de lijn op 30°. Maak deze lijn 20 cm lang.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you reach the top of the tree.
Note: The lines of the top will be slightly longer than 20 cm (8 in) to create a nice top.
- Put the cardboard on your cutting board and use your long ruler and cutter knife to cut the tree out. Be careful when cutting the corners.
Note: If your cardboard isn’t too thick, you can use a pair of scissors instead.
- Use the cut cardboard as a template to draw the second part of the tree. Cut this part out as well.
- On both parts, measure where the centre point is, both in lenght and width.
- On part 1, draw a line from the top of the tree to the centre of the tree. On part 2, draw a line from the centre of the tree to the bottom of the tree.
- Measure how thick your cardboard is.
- Use your geometry triangle to copy the thickness of your cardboard onto the centre line. In doing so, make sure that the centre line remains in the centre of the tree.
- Cut the slit you just drew on both parts.
- Slide both parts into each other.
- Use spray paint to paint the tree. Or better yet, decorate it however you like.
Note: I was only able to paint 1 quarter of the tree with 1 can of spray paint. So if you want to paint the whole tree, buy at least 4 cans. Or buy just the 1, and put the tree up in a very strategic corner.